Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Our Anniversary Trip!

Brian and I left the kids this weekend in the capable hands of our Mothers and got away! We've been planning on doing something for our anniversary for awhile, but we aren't big on "plans." It's too hard with the kids to set something in stone, but we've known for a few weeks that we would go away this weekend. We narrowed our choices down to hiking in the mountains, going to the Outer Banks, and going to Williamsburg. We finally settled on Williamsburg, and off we went!

We left Saturday evening to drive up and check into our hotel. We wanted to stay at Great Wolf Lodge both nights, but we ended up staying at a Courtyard Marriott or something the first night. We were able to go get something to eat and relax. No bedtime routines or anything! It was crazy!

On Sunday we slept in (we both woke up at 6:30 sure that we were up for the day, but then fell back asleep until 8:30), and then headed off to Colonial Williamsburg. I know that some people don't find it interesting, but I love it! Since we live close by we go frequently, but I still remember the first time I went. I am a history buff and everything about Williamsburg interests me. I feel extraordinarily lucky to live in this area. There is so much history here, I don't understand how you couldn't appreciate it all! Fortunately, my husband is on the same page, so we both always have a lot of fun!


Embarking on our Colonial adventure!
The gardens outside of the Governor's Palace.
Brian and I in the gardens!
More Governor's Palace
Look, even Colonial Williamsburg is energy efficient!

We only stayed part of the day there and then headed to the Outlets for some shopping. Brian got some new shoes, I got a few work clothes, and then we spent a ton of money on the kids! They both got some new clothes for fall (the outlets are amazing - Carter's, Gymboree, Osh Kosh, Stride Rite), and even some for next summer!
We checked into Great Wolf Lodge after our shopping trip and we had a great time! The room was amazing, and the Water park was a lot of fun. We were able to try some rides that we've never been on before, and we always come back with lots of ideas for Brian's job. But mainly, we just had a fantastic time. It's a lot of fun to be able to get away and do things like that together like we used to. We kept talking about the things that the kids would love. Actually, we just kept talking about the kids!
Monday morning we woke up and went to the breakfast buffet at the hotel. Can I just tell you that breakfast might be my favorite meal of the day?
Cinnamon rolls, scrambled eggs with cheese, hash browns, sausage and french toast sticks! Delish! (And today I start Weight Watchers)....
Here we are in the foyer of the lodge. I have to say that I was slightly underwhelmed when we walked in because the lobby is nothing compared to the lobby at the Wilderness Lodge at Disney World. But that was completely made up for when we got to our room! WOW! It was amazing!
This is the fireplace where they do story time for the kids every night. We had a great time and can't wait to take the kids back one day! I think they're still a little young, but it will be perfect in a few years!
We were so excited to get home to the kids last night that we couldn't stand it. We spent the day back at Colonial Williamsburg, and then headed home. We were so excited to see our babies, but we've always tried to make spending time alone a priority too. I know our kids will have a much happier childhood if we stay happy, so it's something that we definitely carve time out for (thanks to some pretty awesome grandparents). And it's so worth it. Even though we missed them like crazy, we came home recharged and more of team than we were when we left...and we were quite the team then! I (secretly) can't wait for our next get-away!


No comments:

Post a Comment