Friday, October 29, 2010

Ch-ch-ch-changes!

This has been a crazy week! Monday was soccer and Tuesday we took the kids to get their pictures taken and we didn't get home until 8. Wednesday I had my pre-op appointment with Dr. George-Ward (seriously, LOVE her) and I got all the info for delivery. I just have to say that I think I have the best doctor in the world delivering my babies. She sat down and talked to us about any concerns we have for the delivery (the main one - I don't want to wait forever to find out how the baby s doing) and gave practical advice. She's just amazing and I'm so glad she's delivering all of my kids!

I went back to work after my appointment and then came home around noon. I was surprised to find both Brian and Dave's cars here. Apparently my awesome husband recruited our awesome friend to help de-stress me. That meant that they went and got a ton of plywood and spent the (really hot) day putting it down in the attic so that Brian can move all the storage boxes that are currently in Gooey's room into the attic. Thank goodness! I am so incredibly ready to get this house ready for him, and that is exactly what we needed to get the house in shape!

Yesterday started a bit of an emotional roller coaster for me. We traded this in...
For this.

I have never been a person who swore off minivans. In fact, I've been wanting a minivan for months. We just weren't sure that it was practical for us to do it now. But we got an awesome deal on the trade in and the new Honda Odyssey, and now that we have it we are so excited to have the extra space. But I LOVED my Rav 4. I loved that it was my first brand new car. I loved that Brian picked it out so carefully for me and Wyatt (and eventually Reese). From the Bluetooth to the MP3 connection to the color and the incredible trunk space, I just loved it. But we outgrew it. And we needed a van instead because I couldn't figure out a way to practically seat a 3 and a half year old, a two year old and newborn in a car without somebody getting hit in the face. And I love my van! I just miss my Rav4!

And finally...I am now officially a stay at home mom. Well, maybe not officially. I'll still get paid for two days. But I'm not going to work anymore. It was a rough day. I love being an analyst, I love the insurance industry, and I love the Gecko, but it was time. I am going to really miss all the wonderful people that I worked with, who not only made me laugh and saved my sanity, but also were incredibly kind and generous. But I know we'll still be friends :).

With three kids under 4 there just doesn't seem to be a way to swing working and have it make financial sense. Plus, I really want to take this opportunity to be with the kids when they're small. And I totally get that this isn't for everyone - I have my days where I wonder if staying home full time is "me." But I think that actually staying home is the best way to find out!

Sacrifices will have to be made and I've even already cut back on my Target trips. I went last Saturday and then today - almost a WHOLE WEEK between trips! My record is 40 days when I gave Target up for Lent in 2004. And no, I'm not kidding, and yes, Brian probably will try to make me do that again this year. But I'm still excited to stay home with this little guy after he turns 12 weeks old and to take Reese to story time and the park. I would be excited to take Wyatt to school, but I'm not sure that Brian is giving the rides to and from school up. Even though school is 5 minutes from here and about 25-30 from Brian's office, he really loves the carpool!
So hopefully we'll be able to take a week off from the craziness and get everything organized and ready for our baby boy to be here! We can't wait to meet him!

No comments:

Post a Comment