Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Conference Time: Wyatt

We had parent teacher conferences last week.  I can't believe how close we are to the end of the school year.  I feel like this year has flown by, and I'm reminded of it every time I look at Finley and remember that she was born the day before school started!

I am so surprised when I read other blogs and see that school years are ending.  Ours doesn't end until mid-June!  We also don't start until after Labor Day, but I can't imagine getting out of school in May.  

Our conference with Wyatt's teacher went so well!  His reading has definitely progressed this year....

Readers 1, 2, 7, 8
 Readers 10, 12, 17, 18
 Readers 19, 20, 21
 This little boy is ready for 1st grade! He's come so far this year in Kindergarten.  Here's a picture he drew of his family on the first day of school (top), and one he drew last week (bottom).  Apparently he didn't completely erase the LARGE body on the bottom left, or the floating head before proceeding :).
 And his alphabet has improved drastically since the first day!  His most recent writing is on the top.  I can't believe how tiny his writing is now!
Every day he comes home with worksheets filled with words he's sounded out and written himself, or he's practiced his vowel sounds.  But I think his favorite is math.  He likes to show me how he can tell time, or do addition and subtraction, or measurements.  He really likes fractions.  He'll sit down with his dry erase board and fill in the appropriate number of segments based on what I tell him to do.  And then he asks, "Want to see more, Momma?"

We still need to register him for First Grade next year.  It's so hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that he is going to be gone until 2:30 next year.  I don't even know what I'm going to do with my time (except shuffle to drop him off, then drop Reese and Hudson off, then pick them up, feed them, find time for them to nap, and then pick him up).

Wyatt's kindergarten year has seriously been so good for him.  We were worried about how he would acclimate to the lack of play time, but he learned he needed to do his work first.  We were worried that he didn't have any friends in his class, but he made great friends.  We were worried that he would still miss his teacher from last year (and he does, he asked me about her again today), but he still loves his new teacher!  I think for next year we need to just learn to be at peace with things at the beginning of the year, to let Wyatt be Wyatt, and just go with the flow.  It will probably make for a less stressful year!

No comments:

Post a Comment