Monday, April 14, 2014

Busy Season

There are many things that overwhelm me as a mom of four (it's true.  Do not think I have this mom thing down to a science or all figured out.)  There is the constant need to pick someone up from somewhere.  There are errands.  There's cleaning and laundry and meals that need to be prepared.  And bills and calendars and homework.  

The funny thing about this season is that I always think, "When we get to this stage, things will get easier."  In the last year I think I've told myself that life would get easier when:
- Wyatt started school all day and Reese went to preschool 5 half days a week:  pick up at 11:45 and 2:20 every day.  There goes a solid nap for the littles.
- Finley stopped breastfeeding: eh, not that drastic since she was down to 3 feedings a day when she weaned at 15 months.
- Hudson was potty trained: seriously?  diapers allowed me the freedom to do many things in peace.  Like get to the back of Target without someone screaming, "I need to pee!  I need to pee!"
- We had some downtime on weekends: this is actually the perfect opportunity for the kids to destroy my house.

The thing is that it's not going to get easier. It's going to get harder and more stressful and maybe a little sad. Because they're going to get bigger. There will be times when everyone is potty trained and they can all go before we leave the house.  At some point, I'll be able to tell them to pack their own lunches (on weekdays and for our marathon weekend days).  Someday we won't be stuck at the ball field in the middle of someone's nap time...because no one will actually take a nap.

And then? I'm going to miss all of it.

But for now, she knows how to make the best of our busy season.  And I need to figure out how to do it, too.

And you know, if it included a nap for me, that wouldn't be so bad.

2 comments: