Saturday, May 14, 2011

Strawberry Pickin'

On Thursday we went strawberry picking with Stephanie and Natalie.  I told the kids that we were going and that morning, and they asked about it all day.  We left right after naps and dropped Hudson off with my mom so I would have more hands to wrangle the big kids (and take their pictures!)

Wyatt, Natalie and Reese.  Wyatt did a pretty good job making sure no green strawberries ended up in our basket.  Let's just say, a few got chucked across the strawberry field.

Walking through the strawberries

This is how Wyatt chose to pose for a picture.  He's not big into having his pictures taken right now.

Checking out the horse on the other side of the fence. 

"Downtown Pungo."  This is where the Strawberry Festival is held every year.  I haven't been in ages (Brian always works Memorial Day Weekend), but I'd like to go back.  They have strawberry everything and a parade and a lot of carny activities.  I was actually in the parade ages and ages and ages ago when I was in middle school!

"Super" jumping.

Reese looking for a red strawberry.

Reesie and Natalie

Running to pay for the strawberries.  They were so excited to bring them home, and then Wyatt said, "Hey Mommy, I don't think I'm going to eat the strawberries, I just picked them for you and Reese and Daddy."
I was amazed by how cheap the strawberries and the other fresh produce was.  In addition to the strawberries I also picked up some potatoes, and I'll probably go back soon to get some more veggies.  I think this caused my sister to refer to me as a "locavore." I had never heard this term before, but it was on her AP English exam!

The fresh strawberries are sooooo good, and we've been eating them constantly.  I still can't get Wyatt to eat them, but he is the pickiest eater on the planet.  He eats like, 6 non-snack items.  Chicken nuggets, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, yogurt, cheese, oranges, apples and carrots (very slowly).  He'll eat his weight in pretzels and goldfish, but that's about it.  The kid doesn't even like ice cream.  Or Chick Fil A chicken nuggets.  He has no idea what he's missing, but thank goodness Reese isn't that picky (or picky at all).  But I will get him to eat this strawberries.  Even if I have to make strawberry shortcake to get him to!

No comments:

Post a Comment