Friday, March 9, 2012

My Little Reader!


So, I really can't say enough about how much we love the kids' school.  It's amazing.  In fact, it's so good that we were having a really hard time with the idea that a kindergarten program is available there, but we hadn't signed Wyatt up for it for next year yet. So we decided to.  Extra money?  Absolutely.  But is his educational foundation worth every penny?  Absolutely!  It probably also helps that it's a morning program (Wyatt would be in afternoon K at our very good public school), and Wyatt is a morning person.  And also with the new baby coming, it will save me a lot of hassle doing drop off and pick up for both big kids at the same time!

Anyway, Wyatt has been hard at work in his Phonics Book since he got the first week of school. It reinforced his letters and also helped him work on his handwriting.  The next step after completing the Phonics Book is getting his very own reader!!!

His teacher told me on Wedneday that he was close, but that there was going to be a handwriting "test" before he got the reader - I've been practicing with him, but he still doesn't always pay complete attention, so I was a little worried.  Well, when I picked him up today he was very excited to tell me he got it!

Now that he has the reader we'll work on it every night and he'll also work on it at school.  Once he gets through this book, he'll get a second one and start a new Phonics Book.  He is over the moon about this.  He's also a little excited because his teacher made an "announcement" to the whole class that he got it, and he is also the first boy in his class to get it.  I've never seen him so anxious to tell Brian something about school!

Anyway, this post is a complete brag, and I hate to do it (ha!), but it's a pretty big moment when your first kid gets ready to start reading!  I can't believe he's going to be 5 in 3 weeks!


No comments:

Post a Comment