Tuesday, March 10, 2009

American Idol: Week 1

Alright, as much as I'd like to say that the performances matter tonight, I don't think they do. I do have to wonder though, who came up with Michael Jackson week? I don't really think any Michael Jackson is singable, and at this point its not that entertaining. And for goodness sake, why do they pick these themes when the judges think no one will ever be as good as the original?

I thought Lil, Paul and Scott were good and entertaining. Jasmine...not so much. But she had the added bonus of singing a song that Michael Jackson recorded first and then was re-recorded by Mariah Carey. In either case she still came off slightly unpleasant. I like Michael Sarver. He probably won't win, but he'll get a country record deal and stop being an oil rigs man (by the way, did you know that was what he did for a living?).

Allison was awful. Kris was decent, but he's forgettable. Anoop (as much as I like him) was not so good. Jorge was terrible. The way he looks at the screen bothers me. I felt like I was on a cruise ship.

I didn't think Megan was nearly as bad as Simon said she was, and I rarely disagree with him! Oh, Adam Lambert. All the teen ladies seem to love you, with your Twilight-like darkness and spiky hair. But I think you're a little David Archuleta-ish. That's right. You only want to be their friend. And seriously Paula, how could you predict the finals on the first night? I mean, I already have, but whatever. Next time Adam lose the chains. I could hear them janglling on your hip throughout your entire performance.

I didn't recognize Matt Giraud's song, but I thought he was good. He's got an Elliot Yamin thing going on, which was good enough to carry Elliot to the final three (and let's be honest, his song got more radio play than the two finalists...it was on a Now! CD for goodness sake).

My Predictions

Going home this week: Allison Iraheta and Kris Allen, neither of them seem to have a fan base leading up to this. I suppose Anoop could leave us too, but I really don't want him to.

The Final Five (that's right, I'm predicting who will be left in 6 weeks):
Lil Rounds
Paul Gokey
Scott MacIntire
Adam Lambert
Matt Giraud

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: My mistake, I thought Danny Gokey's name was Paul. Maybe that's because I just don't like him or something. His name is Danny. Duh.

1 comment:

  1. Who the heck is Paul Gokey? I really wish we were playing Fantasy American Idol this year...since you are picking people that aren't even on the show. I would be a cinch to win!

    ReplyDelete